05 January 2009

impulsive update

"The New Zealand Yellow Pages are building a restaurant 10 meters up on a redwood tree. It is now under construction on a site north of Auckland. This tree restaurant is designed by Pacific Environments Architects. This treehouse concept gives you an expression of childhood dreams and fairy tales. It is inspired by the chrysalis/cocoon safeguarding the emerging butterfly/moth. It has a 60m tree-top walkway getting you up to the restaurant and inside there’s ample space for 18 seating people and staff and complete with a bar. The kitchen and the toilet will be located at the ground level. The acrylic sheeting fixed to the roof under the fins to get the protection for tough weather conditions."

sounds interesting O_o but really unsafe haha...

well, today my grandpa spent 30 mins giving me this big talk about how I should make use of my time while i'm young and before my brain corrodes to study so that I can have a good life (yes, the asian lecture.) and that just because I'm female I have to work 3 times as hard as any man. far out wtf is that? also told me about how hard parents work etc etc... and economic recession means that 'the family is going through a hard time'

what the hell, we own a 2 story house with computers and 2 widescreen tvs. if that's 'a hard life' I'd like to see what 70% of the world's population are living though.

also, because I'm a female, I'll have to deal with hardship with family vs work, face sexism and all that jazz. so yeah, he told me my life is gonna suck. thanks a lot.

in fact, this really scares me a lot because up til now I have never had any real problems. Life's actually been really cruisy compared to a lot of things I know. I'm lucky, I wasn't born in the 3rd world, I have food to eat every day, a bed to sleep in each night, my family is together, we have a house... I am grateful. but because of this, I am scared of the future. I have so much to lose. I have never experienced real pain or pressure, no hardships. Sometimes I dislike my parents for sheltering me so much. don't start with that "but you're winnie, you won't have any problems" bs. I am still human. I'm not just kidding around here, I know it's going to be hard. I just don't know how hard, and how I'm going to be affected.

"If you don't study now, how will you get scholarship into one of those big universities? harvard... princeton..."

What if I'm not interested? I'm 15, I don't know what I want. And I'm certainly not going to go to one just because of someone else. It's my life, I'll steer it in whatever direction I want. And if I can't live forever, I'll still want to be living for myself, not conforming to society or anyone else's expectations and wants. They pretty much have it imprinted in my mind that I'm definitely going to a big university, have a job that earns a lot of money, have children, live a normal life.

But come on, the chances of that happening? Life rarely goes in the direction you plan. Sounds simple now, but simple plans are the ones that are less likely to happen...

my train of thought was interrupted just now as I was wondering when school was restarting so I asked steph. hahaahaha weak willpower, can't even remember what else I was going to rant about.

on the other hand, I managed to do 3 days worth of kumon today. not bad right? unofficially finished K now, just have to do 181-200 again once and go one more time from 1-200 K review.

lets finish off with a story:

A student comes to a young professor's office hours. She
glances down the hall, closes his door, kneels pleadingly.
"I would do *anything* to pass this exam." She leans closer
to him, flips back her hair, gazes meaningfully into his eyes.
"I mean..." she whispers, "...I would do...*anything*."
He returns her gaze. "Anything?"
"*Anything*."
His voice softens. "*Anything*??"
"*Anything*."


----------------------------------------


..................


----------------------------------


.........


------------------------------------


..............


-------------------------------------------


.................


His voice turns to a whisper. "Would you...*study*?"

----Supposedly a 'true story' from Dartmouth

hehe, witty professor. (: anyway cya guys I'll blog again later when I actually have something to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha yeah I've read about that restaurant. It looks like a huuuge glowing paper lantern impaled on a tree. Jah.

Lol I like that professor xD