14 May 2013

summah mutha f****s

As of Saturday, I am finished with freshman year. It's pretty scary how fast it all went, not to mention the thought of the long summer and then sophomore year -- I wonder how much will have happened by the time I come back to campus. I'm currently in my semi emptied room, having finished packing away all my things into boxes, with only my suitcases and stuff I'm leaving at my cousin's place left to store away.

The American year is kind of weird. I'm used to the end of year feeling extremely conclusive, which is what you get if it aligns with the end of the actual calendar year. The year is complete, you go home and have Christmas and celebrate New Years and new beginnings, and start again after the rollover. No such thing here. It's randomly May and it doesn't really feel like the end of anything at all. It's like everything is some kind of continuous spiral that keeps going, with winter breaks being our traditional end of calendar year, so it doesn't feel like it's super new when we go back to school since it's still the continuation of the school year. I'm not really sure which way I prefer. I guess this way there's less of the refreshing feeling I get from a complete restart, but it's also easier to build momentum and continue with whatever I was doing before as well. Then again this kind of thing shouldn't ideally affect me since time is continuous in either case anyway.

I met so many awesome people in the last 8-9 months! It's so weird to think that before then I didn't know anyone here. Also everyone is leaving and it's sad. I don't know why I am so affected by stuff like this haha.

Plans for the summer? I want to get back into digital art, since it's hard to do big traditional stuff while travelling (Actually it's a huge pain in the ass, especially when packing up my stuff, I can't take anything with me at all =.= I have to destroy the big stuff I did this year because there's no sense in trying to store it. Ugh this is why people have basements).

I want to read some books. I have to at least get through The Great Gatsby. Otherwise I'll feel like an illiterate uncultured loser who can't even get through a book in 3 months.

I want to try some photography (buy a hipster camera???) -- again more to develop aesthetics in a compact way.

Do some random programming stuff on the side probably, to learn more and practice. Trying to dl mySQL right now, I want to test some wordpress layouts but I actually have no clue what I am doing lulz.

I'm enjoying having the freedom and time to do whatever I want right now though. I'm not exactly sure how long this will last before I get bored tho haha. I kinda had some feeling that I wanted to go home for a month at the last minute, so much so that I even looked up flights, it would only have been about $1650 return! But I wonder what I would have done back there. Also the weather. Also 24+ hours flying. Also new immigration policy. Ew so much disincentives to flying home (lol I'm so lazy).

In any case.

CAN'T WAIT TO LIVE WITH THESE BEAUTIFUL GIRLIES NEXT YEAR C: thx for photo pong


No comments: