14 January 2013

The strange phenomenon of suddenly not having enough time in the day

There is something about primary school, intermediate and even early high school summer holidays that all kid suffer through: an overabundance of time and nothing to do with it.

Actually though, time is the most precious resource of all. And now that I'm old and wrinkly (I'm turning 20 this year, oh gosh), for the first time in my life I feel like I don't have enough of it. Only about a month ago, when Chencake was talking to me about his winterbreak plans, he mentioned that he had so many good ideas and things to do and there was just not enough time to do them. I couldn't work out at that stage how that could be possible; in my mind things always have a set time and it's always possible to do what you need to do in a day. But lately, I've discovered that sometimes that's just not the case. Between going out and meeting old friends, working on Rover and my own personal projects and surfing the net to dip my toes in some other learning opportunities, I've discovered sooooo many new things that I want to do and learn and the simple impossibility of doing them all.

And yes, I totally realize the apparent irony of me blogging right now even though I have so much other stuff to do (theoretically), but the thing is none of this is stuff I have to do -- rather, it's stuff I'd like to do. I guess blogging comes into that as well, my writing as of late has been boring at best and there's nothing much coming to mind about what to write about. Someone told me to write a book but honestly there's nothing I can think of to talk about (that's a lie tbh, stuff comes to me all the time but I just don't have the time or actual strong motivation to sit down and put it all in words). Though, I've decided that writing a book at some point in my life would be pretty cool. Getting published seems difficult though. If you took all the stuff I blogged over the last 5 years, it would probably equate to more than 50 000 words, so that's pretty much a novel.

It's gotten to the point where I try so hard to stuff as much as I can into one day, allocating mornings, afternoons and evenings separately to dedicated tasks instead of whole days like I used to. Actually I quite like this way of doing things because when I used to allocate days to certain tasks I'd end up procrastinating for half of it anyway. Also it's made a difference that I live further out from the city center now so that I'll drive out like 20km, come home and drive out 20km again later in the day. It's kind of weird because I'd never do that before, since I'd think wow it's so far away (even though it's closer than where I live now), I might as well just stay here and not go home. The fact that I live further way has meant more time on the road since it's more normal to have to drive everywhere (flawed logic it appears now that I think about it) as opposed to being used to only having to go 5km at a time so 10km appears further hahaha.

My break so far (menial. so menial. whoever's reading can ignore this, it's more for my own records):

Dec 19: last exam. invited out to go party with Arthur before he flew home but too tired so didn't go ``sorry arthur ):``

20: packing, played some guild wars, actually a rather large waste of a day tbh but it was good just to chillax

21: saying goodbye to everyone, went over to my cousins place, hotpot for dinner in chinatown. mum's birthday in nz. called but she was in a business meeting.

22: decided to learn vim in the morning. went out to boston for lunch and explored, was freaking cold, had 20oz ribeye steak for dinner which was amazeballs.

23: dimsum for brunch, sent to airport after that

24: disappeared somewhere between san francisco and sydney

25: arrived in auckland at 430pm. drove by the old house to see the renovations (looks like a wreck). Tony and Billy swung by to get their Nexus4s before I'd even gotten home properly. They went to KFC. I went home to shower. Had a nice catchup with the family after dinner at home. Realized I had no clothes (luckily i had 1 extra pair of underwear in my suitcase) because it's all covered in plastic under the renovations.

26: swung by the new warehouse on pah road to pick up some clothes and shoes for the month. went over to dressmart to do some boxing day shopping and see Ling Brian and Wendy. had lunch at nandos. Had L&P for the first time in 5 months (tasted great). drove out east to Brian's house and watched Rainman, had dinner at Kanda. Also ran into Kun at dressmart and made plans for Saturday.

27: Lunch in New Lynn with family. Coffee with Jamie and Billy at. Saw Angel to give her her wallet. Can't really remember what else I did hum.

28: One Tree Hill with the family, had lunch at the cafe there, pretty good. Mission bay in the afternoon after that, enjoying the nice weather. A lot of people out because of the nice weather.

29: Get together at Kun's at night, was good to see everyone again... cannot for the life of me remember what I did during the day. Oh yeah I think I went to the gym in the afternoon or something. I definitely saw Yujie at some point during these days. Went to KFC for lunch after gym. That's right I remember now haha.

30: Left for the road trip. Drove for half the day, KFC for lunch in Whangarei,  had water and pretty scenery thrust in our faces at Whangarei falls, arrived in Kerikeri in the afternoon, some ppl went for a swim in the brown water in the river next to the camping grounds.

31: Went snorkeling on Motuarohia Island. Sharp rocks. Cut my finger and foot, though many were worse off than me (used at least 15 bandaids out of my bag that afternoon). Got sunburnt. Saw cute fish though. Chased the last sunset of the year to a cute little bay and caught some fish. Entered new year inebriated back at the cabin after a shot of jaegerbomb and tequila. Slept at 1 or 2am though (relatively early).

Jan 1: Most people wanted to have a chillax day so changed plans of going sand duning. Drove out to Tane Mahuta. Took the wrong route and ended up in the wrong neighbourhood. Looked like the kind of place where murders happen in the middle of the woods. The flowers were pretty though. Stopped by a cafe for lunch, there was a pretty swimming hole nearby. Made for very nice pics. Didn't want to burn to a crisp after my sunburn which was now v. painful so didn't go swimming.

2: Sand dunes and Cape Reinga. Same old story, been there before (dat Cape. I've been there like 4-5 times now).

3: Drove back to Auckland. stopped by a beach in the morning but it was raining so kind of cold (suddenly -- was hot at first). Waves were good for surfing. Driving over the harbour bridge is nice. I like the view of the city from up there.

4: Met up with Ling to see him off before he flies back to Abu Dhabi. Gym in the afternoon, redyed my roots, dinner at Daikoku, saw Wreck it Ralph.

5: Started doing Rover stuff on a regular basis, mostly 1-2 hours every day from 9.30-midday ish. Went to the gym again because ppl about to go back to work and wanted to make the most of spare time. Lunch at Archie's. Went for a nature walk in the Waitakere Ranges because my parents felt like it.

6: Rover in the morning. Saw Daniel before he leaves for Taiwan/Korea in the afternoon. Had a good catchup and talk about medschool. Dinner with Shu, Steph and Laina at Portofino in Mission Bay.

7: Morning Rover. Gym around midday. Dinner out in Henderson. Games night at Dora's in the evening. Died first round 3 times in a row in a game of Mafia (even when I was the Mafia because narrator Jisu stuffed up haawww such is my life, obvs nobody trusts me)

8: Morning Rover. Working on my CS portfolio. Went to get a haircut though he just really layered it tbh, it's not much shorter and even I couldn't tell the difference lol, the front is a lot nicer now though.  Life of Pi at night.

9: Morning Rover. Supposed to go to the gym but Billy got cheap Heineken Open tickets so went to watch David Ferrer play. Was my first professional live tennis match, enjoyed it a lot and was apparently on TV during the coverage hahah. Had dinner at the Don. Was tempted to try the salmon sashimi on rice but in the end opted for the usual udon (i'm boring I know)

10: Little brother's birthday. Took him out for lunch at Bruce Lee's with grandma, went shopping (bought him a sweater and a pair of jeans) and froyo at the beach and we just chilled. Dinner at Thai Village, black forest birthday cake (♥), went to have coffee at Circus after that with a whole group of people.

11: Morning Rover. Lunch with Tom at Bruce Lee's, walked around Newmarket for a while with nothing to do cos Tom went back to work, had a coffee at 255 Cafe because they have 1 hour complimentary wifi, tried hotspot tethering for the first time (it works), found free wifi on top of 277 food court. Hillie got off work, went to dinner at Hansan with her, Ella and my brother, and then went to see Moonrise Kingdom by the Viaduct in Silo Park (pretty cool, there's like an outdoor cinema and they use a projector to show movies on the side of the Silo. a lot of people were there and the atmosphere was nice).

12: Rover Rover Rover. Deadline was soon. Went to iStorm with Cherry and Vicky and played Jenga, then went to the Thai restaurant around there to have their $13 lunch special (it was actually really nice though the restaurant looked really empty). Went Opshopping on K'road, some of the stuff they have there is pretty cool.

13: Finishing up layouts on Rover in the morning. Jessy and Maria's 18th in Mt Eden in the afternoon, pigeons ate the cake (no biggie), was good to see all the kids again. I was the oldest at the party oh sigh. Dinner with Yujie and her parents after that at Sun World, and then to Will's where we played pictionary and Jamie kind of failed at drawing a horse and Jamie and Laina show popculture illiteracy when they could not guess my drawing of The Big Bang Theory even though everyone else in the room could.

14: Lunch with Tian and everyone else at Nolbune (the main point was for me to see Tian, but I actually ran into him 2 days earlier when hanging out with Cherry derp. nonetheless was good to see everyone again). iStorm with Tony Laina Steph and Will, played Jenga, Will ragequits b/c of constant loss, I go to gym alone because I feel like a blob and find out I've gained even more weight (wtf is going on, I'm eating less here as well because it's so hot I don't need that much energy). And here I am now.

15: Going to go up north past Ruakaka to some family friend's beach house with the family. Drove 2 hours up to One Tree Point and spent a few hours there with a family friend. Then back again 2 hours. Had dinner out with grandma and brother at a pretty crappy taiwanese restaurant in newmarket (My Kitchen is much better on dominion road)

16: Beach with John, Sera and Sailesh, then dinner with the Mollies. Got chucked in the fountain and the ocean and had seaweed flung at me ): But it was fun. Also was good to catch up with everyone, had a nice chat with Angel in the car when driving her home. Had frozen yoghurt in town and failed at getting a sample lololol, tbh I wasn't going to buy one but then the stuff came out so fast that I felt bad and thought I should just pay for it ...

17: Orthodontist at 2pm, tea with Jack. Had a good catch up and talked about random stuff like we usually do. I quite like my sporadic Jack times. He had lovely nail polished hands, so pretty. :) Went to dinner at wooden board kitchen before Jamie leaves, was pretty freaking good for the price.

18: Applying for internships, had coffee with gur, went to the gym, dinner at Hansan and movie night at Wenbo's with the engineers, though turned out to be more like youtube night and we slept hahaha. Sleeping on the ground is pretty tiring... Felt sad driving away from the shore. Still love the sight of the city going over the bridge.

19: Got home, then got whisked out again pretty much straight away for a drive out to East Auckland/Beachlands with the family. I was just really tired so I napped a bit and walked around on the beach I guess. I was getting pretty sick of the scenery, missed college a bit because everyone was going back around this time. Dinner with family friends.

20: Coffee with MKD and the STCC art students, Florentine was closed randomly for inexplicable reasons so we ended up going to Rosehip in Parnell. Their eggs were good, though it was rather expensive in the end (as cafe food tends to be). I learned what skordalia and panchetta are. Drove into town and went to the gym with Yujie afterwards, where we did Pilates :) it was good, though broke my cardio lol. Had a good time just catching up with her one on one since I never really got her to myself when Jamie was here :P

21: Supposed to go to the beach with the EGGS girls and Yujie, but it looked cloudy so we ended up going to town and coffee instead. Had a good chat, eggs benedict at esquires, then istorm and played some dance central 2. I am horrible at copying moves on screen.

22: Actually went to the beach with EGGS girls and Yujie. Then Will organized a dinner with everyone at India Gate so I could see everyone before I left, which was nice of him. Because I wouldn't have done that myself haha. That feel when you know you're not gonna see someone for the next year :/

23: Went to see Les Mis with Karl, had a good catch up over lunch since I haven't really talked to him since I got back, out of everyone I think he's most different/changed the most in the last 4 months. Went to the gym, went to the orthodontist, bought $30 worth of chocolate biscuits and candy at the supermarket in preparation for America, came home for dinner and then went out for final coffee with the close friends... it was a good time actually, but I do feel a bit sad when we say goodbye and have our final hugs ..

24: Pack. Shower. Final clothes wash. Fly away!

I guess I'll update the rest as it happens. I think it's just good to have a full record of everything I did. Gotta find some time to apply to internships, brush up on algorithms and basic math, at least somewhat make a 4 year plan so I don't end up taking like 6 years to finish my degree due to poor planning, and prob apply to get involved with CS50 at some point hum.... werk werk werk. Also I want to play through the SC2 campaign sometime, though my laptop seems to overheat a bit. Oh yeah my Dad also tried to get me a SSD but the cloning isn't working very well, I've taken apart my laptop like 5 times in the last 3 days cos the thing just won't boot no matter how I try to clone it :/

Derp time for Guild Wars 2.

No comments: