01 January 2012

新年快乐!! Baby you're a firework~

The Chinese word for fireworks, 烟花,means literally 'smoke flower'. Both visually stunning and ephemeral, 烟花 encapsulates the passing of time for new years -- we are reminded that like smoke, our time on earth is transient and yet, like flowers, it is beautiful and shouldn't be cast away. This is certainly something I reflected on as I watched the terrific fireworks show exploding off the Taipei 101 this new years.

It was the first time I've actually been to such a big event to celebrate new years. I remember the flying homemade lantern of 2010 done at jamies house, or the yelling out of apartment windows in Paris of 2011. All very small but sure ways to celebrate the coming of a new year. Fireworks are of course the more traditional way to celebrate new years and it's surprising even to me that this is the first time I have come into the new years with fireworks :)

New years day represents for me a cleansing, a way to start anew and take a look at where I am going, where I would like to end up by 365 days later (nevermind how this year is a leap year...). 2011 has been relatively good year; I feel like I learned a lot as a person and matured more as I got more used to the 'real world'.

How'd I do on my own flimsy goals tho? Which I never look at after making them...

1) Make this year much much better than 2010 -- I do think it was a better year than 2010 haha, so this was good~
2) Become more open :) -- no idea I think i was pretty open to begin with and may have gone backwards :/ but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing in many respects..
3) Do things I want to do, not things I feel obligated to do -- I tend to do this much to the annoyance of others because it is selfish. Lol can't win in this world...
4) Push boundaries -- yeah I guess I did go through with a lot of things I wasn't super into but the rewards were really good, I'm glad I pushed myself :)
5) Dedicate myself to the things I love 120% -- still haven't found something I love so much. At best I think I have committed 90% though.
6) Complain less -- not sure how this went. I don't keep track of my own complaining...
7) Get more fit. Because I didn't do it last year. ): -- better than 2010, still not that great though haha
8) Have more reasons to smile than frown :) -- definitely :D

Hmmmmm. Not bad I suppose. My way of thinking has changed a bit. New nyrs time~

1) do your best in uni. No slacking off even if other people say it's easy - get your grades first and then play around :)
2) if you are in America by the time you read this again, you are the man.
3) try new things - especially in uni, look for the things that might pique some genuine passion. Find the spark you lack.
4) GO AND FREAKING. WORK OUT YOU FAT SLOB.
5) get a job and earn some money :) becoming more independent even when support is there
6) be socially conscious
7) keep in touch with old friends
8) again -- have more reasons to smile than frown :)

I wish you all a very happy new years and an amazing year to come. Hopefully we are all still alive by January 1 2013 and the smoke of the 烟花 has not yet been extinguished by conspiracy theories coming true :p

Remember that every day is a gift we should be so thankful for because life is the single most valuable thing we each possess, and it's pricelessness makes every year an amazing experience -- make sure when you look back at the years of your life in nostalgia that each and every year is like a different colored explosion, and your life becomes a beautifully unforgettable fireworks show!

No comments: